Yema is a sweet, soft and delicious product that was made from the combinations of condensed milk, egg yolk and sugar. Through the years, a lot of twists was made in order to make it more delicious and peculiar in taste. Some added crunchy crushed peanuts, butter etc. This recipe can be use as stuffing for bread and can also be eaten on its own as candy.
For the yema filling:
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 evaporated milk
- 1 whisked egg
- 2 tsp of cornstarch
- Wash your hands and prepare your ingredients and materials before cooking to save time and effort and to ensure a clean and safe food preparation.
- Cook the yema filling into a low medium heat using a frying pan.
- Pour the condensed milk, then the sugar, evaporated milk, whisked egg and lastly the cornstarch.
- Make sure to continue mixing it until you already achieved the desired texture.
- Cooking time is about 10 to 15 minutes.
For the bread preparation:
*3 1/2 cups flour +1/2 cup for dusting
*1 tsp yeast
*1/2 tsp salt
*2 tbsp powdered milk
*1/2 cup sugar
*1/4 cup butter or margarine
*1/4 cup vegetable oil
*1 piece egg yolk
*1 cup warm water
- Wash your hands, prepare all the needed materials and ingredients before baking to save time.
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt, powdered milk and sugar.
- Then make a crater-like at the center of the combined ingredients.
- Add the butter or margarine, egg yolk and warm water.
- Then mix until you formed a dough, knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Make a ball-like figure then put it in a bowl or any clean container.
- Cover with clean cloth or food wrapper.
- Wait for 2 to 3 hrs or until the dough doubled in size.
- Once it doubled in size, punch it using your clean fist to remove the air out of the dough.
- Dust with flour then knead again for a few minutes.
- Cut the dough into your desired size.
- Put 1 tbsp of yema filling in each dough.
- Form it into a circular shape, put it in your baking pan.
- If you want your bread to be more appealing, you can brush some egg yolk on top of the bread.
- Next step, cover again with a cloth for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 150’c.
- Remove the cloth then bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes at 150’c.
- The bread was already cooked if the top part was slightly brown.
- Let the bread cool, then serve!
HEALTH AND LIFE MATTERS_MOMSOTHERSIDE