How to manage your headache and when to seek a doctor’s consultation
Are you one of those who are experiencing headaches from time to time? Headaches are very disturbing and can cause disabling you to do your daily tasks and duties. According to our health source, headaches can lead to sleep disturbances, anxiety, depression, and psychological and physical problems.
The general signs and symptoms are as follows:
- There is a moderate to severe pain
- Presence of pulsating and throbbing sensation.
- It is aggregated by physical activities
- You can feel light and sound sensitivity.
- Pressing or tightening around your head.
- Pain around eyes
This common symptoms usually go away on its own even without medications, but you should seek a doctor’s consultation if:
- Your headaches seem worsening over time.
- Disabling you to do daily chores and activities already.
- You have two or more headaches in a week.
- You needed an increase dose of over the counter medications to relieve headaches.
- Furthermore, you are taking pain medications to relieve headaches on most days and your headache won’t go away without medications.
- If your headache comes with double vision, seizure, confusion, stiffness, fever, weakness, numbness, or difficulty in speaking.
- Headaches worsen despite rest and home intervention.
Risk factors of headaches includes: anxiety, depression, sleep disturbances, caffeine, chronic pain conditions, obesity, snoring etc.
You can use over the counter medications like analgesics (naproxen and ibuprofen) to relieve headaches, be sure to ask the pharmacist regarding the medication that is effective and suitable for you. Possible causes of headaches are infection, stroke, inflammation, meningitis, traumatic brain injury, brain trauma.
Note: you better seek a doctor’s consultation to better check your condition and to take actions regarding it. The doctor will perform tests to diagnose your headache’s problem. Some of the tests that the doctor may perform are imaging tests like: CT scan and MRI to look for underlying medical condition. After recognizing the problem, the doctor will prescribe certain medications for your treatment.
Here are some lifestyle and home remedies that you can do to help relieve headaches:
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid headache triggers
- Avoid medications overuse
- Get enough rest and sleep
- If you are obese, you may want to lose weight.
- Reduce stress
- Avoid too much caffeinated drinks
- Don’t skip your meals
Headaches are really a problem that you have to resolve to continue your daily activities. Always take control and seek an understanding about your situation. It’s a healthy action to talk to someone and share your feelings about it, accept counselling and support from other people, it will really help.