Homeschooling is referred as the method of teaching your child or children at home regarding their school subjects. The teacher is basically one of the guardian (mother, father), anyone at home who can teach or a private tutor. It needs one to be motivated to teach in order for it to be effective. During the pandemic and as of this time, while writing this post this is the chosen way on how to continue the learning process of students, because of the greater risk of occurring the disease (covid-19) outside. It includes modular form, online and blended form of learning. Even before the pandemic there are already parents who choose to homeschool their children. Maybe because they are more comfortable with this kind of education.
There are advantages and disadvantages of this type of learning:
- It can offer an educational freedom and it is flexible. The student and the educator can choose the time that is more comfortable to study.
- Parents can be able to focus on the things they want to add on their child’s education aside from the lessons on the book or module.
- Beneficial for the learner because he or she is the center of attention and he or she can absorb a lot of learnings.
- Practical because parents can save for transportation, uniforms and other miscellaneous expenses.
- Parents can be comfortable of their child’s emotional security.
- There is an assurance of safetiness.
- One guardian is needed to sacrifice a job or career to focus on the child’s education, thus sacrificing an increase to family income.
- The social life of the child is not fully explored. Yes he or she can play outside with friends but the learning inside the school and at home is different. The child needs to socialize with children of his or her same age.
- The child couldn’t be able to explore school facilities (like library, computer or science laboratories, school playground and etc.) which are needed to enhance his or her knowledge more.
- The child will have a limited experience of the real world, we need to explore them to a real teacher, schoolmates and playmates at a regular time, to prepare them for the challenges outside the home.
Whatever your reasons or whatever you choose as a form of educating your child will always be respected. Just consider to choose what suits your preference, budget, comfortability and you must also consider your child’s thoughts or decisions about it, if he wants to be homeschooled or if he wants to go in a physical school, like private or public school.