It’s a good idea to add some vegetables on our baked goods, it will not only make the bread delicious but will make it a healthier option to eat during your snack time. This recipe is rich in essential health nutrients that our body needs. According to our health food source some of the important health benefits we can derive from squash are as follows:
- A good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and manganese.
- Low in calorie and a good source of complex vegetable carbohydrate and dietary fiber.
- Contains iron and beta-carotene (the darker the skin, the higher the beta-carotene).
- Good source of folate, omega-3 fatty acids, copper and vitamin B-complex.
- Have anti-inflammatory properties and contains a great amount of antioxidant.
- Promotes optimal health, have a potential in cancer prevention and treatment.
- May help in blood sugar control.
- Important food to include in a heart healthy diet.
Note: Excessive consumption of food is not good to our health and can bring a negative result or bad effects on our body. Always eat the right kind and the right amount of food.
Here is a separate post for the yema coconut filling that was used in this recipe: https://wp.me/pbB9Zx-CZ
- 5 cups all purpose flour + 1 cup for dusting (set aside)
- 2 cups shredded squash
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (this recipe used canola oil)
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 egg (whisked)
- A pinch of salt
- Wash your hands before baking and gather your ingredients and materials.
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, shredded squash, brown sugar, yeast, powdered milk and a pinch of salt) then add the wet ingredients (vegetable oil, margarine and egg).
- Combine thoroughly then cover using a food wrapper, let it rest for 3 hrs.
- Use the all purpose flour that you set aside a while ago for dusting the dough then knead it.
- Divide the dough up to 25 pieces then flatten each dough, put 1 tbsp of yema coconut filling in each piece.
- Get the 4 sides of the dough to meet at the center to make a round shape.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 150’c.
- After stuffing all the dough pieces, let it rest again for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes at 150’c.
- Let cool and serve… Enjoy!