If you love breads with some delicious treats inside it, let this ube jam be the one! You can use it as bread filling or eat this as a form of dessert. Purple yam is a kind of starchy root vegetable. There are several ways on how you can make a recipe out of it, you can add this as an additional ingredient to other veggies or meat recipes, ube chips, cake, muffins, crinkles, cookies and even smoothies or ice cream, but my favorite among others will always be ube jam. This root vegetable wasn’t only a flexible food to a lot of dishes but they also offers essential nutrients that can benefit our body, according to our health food source they are as follows:
- A rich source of antioxidants
- Good source of carbohydrates, vitamin C and potassium.
- May help with managing blood sugar levels and in lowering blood pressure
- Helps promote gut health
Some mistakenly associate it with sweet potatoes as they also have purple colored varieties. To differentiate the two: purple (ube) yam’s color are usually a vivid violet-purple to bright lavender, the outside texture is rough and darker, the peel (outer layer or the skin) is a little bit thick on the other hand sweet potatoes outside texture are smooth and looks shiny, the peel is thin compared to ube.
Note: “Excessive consumption of food is not good to our health and can bring a negative result or bad effects on our body. Always eat the right kind and the right amount of food”.
- 1/2 kg purple yam
- 1 can (387g) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch (combine them and dissolve with 1/4 cup of water)
- 3 tbsp margarine
- Wash your hands and prepare your ingredients and materials.
- Wash the purple (ube) yam carefully, and remove the outer layer, slice it into three.
- Put it in a pot and add 2 1/2 cup of water then bring it to boil.
- When the purple yam was already boiled, drain it then put it in a bowl, mash it.
- In a medium heat using a pan, add the coconut milk, when it’s starting to bubble add the mashed purple (ube) yam then stir it, add the other ingredients one by one (condensed milk, brown sugar, all purpose flour, cornstarch and the margarine.
- Just continue stirring it until you’ve achieve your desired thickness.
- This recipe was cook for about 35 minutes.
- Hope you like it!