Tips when traveling with kids
This post is all about the things that we should consider while traveling with kids, specially if it will take a few hours or a long drive before reaching your destination.
Traveling is a very fulfilling and a fun activity to most of the kids. To fully enjoy it, we have to know some of the things that we should be alert, avoid, and prepare as parents or guardians to avoid tantrums and eliminate stress along the way!
It’s our responsibility as parents to make sure that they are comfortable along the road. Below are the tips that we should do to have a good and enjoying trip with our kids!
Make sure to:
- Prepare your child’s personal kit. If you have 2 or more, it’s better to provide each of them. It should include your child’s extra clothing, towelette and other hygiene essentials like toothbrushes, toothpastes, soap, alcohol, powder, wipes, tissue paper etc. (Based on how long you would stay to your destination).
- Don’t forget to bring a first aid kit, their vitamins, over the counter medicines for possible headache, vomiting and stomach aches that are commonly occurring problems during travel.
- Bring some foods that are energy boosting such as bread, biscuit crackers and fruits, avoid too much sweet and salty foods, choose non-greasy tidbits and non-acidic drinks that may bring about gastrointestinal concerns, nausea, and vomiting. Don’t forget to bring drinking water for hydration.
- Bring umbrella for sun or rain protection in case the place you are about to visit is sunny or rainy.
- Check your car engine, and make sure that the one who will drive your car gets enough rest or sleep before the travel to avoid any accidents that are brought by sleepiness and tiredness, remember that kids are with you.
How to avoid boredom and moodiness while on the road?
- Keep them active by offering them energy boosting foods and water.
- Listen to their queries.
- Ask them if they are comfortable, if they want to use a comfort room (pass urine or anything else). You can stop over to do so. Most gasoline stations and food establishments have it.
- Explain to them the importance of your travel.
- Let them enjoy the nature’s view.
- Tell them the names of the places that you see along the road! Specially if it’s something historical or something for the kids to learn about.
- Tell short stories that could engage your kids into a conversation.
So, these are the tips when traveling with kids. I hope that it could help you achieve a better, enjoying and a knowledge gaining trip that could fulfill the different aspects of your child’s life, specially socially and intellectually.