There are times wherein our children get sick because of numerous contributing factors that are present around, and as they say, it’s a part of growing up. But to think that we can do something to help our children during this time is so much important.
One common sickness that our children are getting through is seasonal flu, which can cause fever and other bodily discomforts.
A fever is a temporary elevation of our body’s temperature, due to an underlying illness. It’s a sign that something is not going well in our bodies. Usually, our body’s temperature is going up to 38’c or more.
Here are tips on how to care for a sick child while at home:
- Dress him/her in lightweight, and breathable clothing. Avoid excess clothing as it will trap body heat that can contribute to a rise in body temperature.
- A sick child gets tired easily. They may wake up more due to discomfort feeling from congested head and body aches. That’s why it’s essential to allow them to have enough rest and sleep.
- Give the child plenty of fluids to drink, and fruits to eat. These can help in boosting his/her immune system.
- Check the child’s body temperature using a thermometer. Give over-the-counter paracetamol syrup for fever (or as prescribed by the physician). Strictly follow the medication’s dosage and time. Make sure it’s age-appropriate.
- Keep the room ventilated, and give time for quiet games or light activities that the child wants to do.
- Make sure to provide a calm and peaceful environment.
- Use your face mask.
- Give the child food in his/her room. Clean the utensils well, before and after eating.
- Help the child to perform his/her hygiene. Such as bathing, tooth brushing, trimming of nails, and combing the child’s hair.
- Wash hands after every contact with the sick child.
- Continue monitoring the child until he/she gets well.
When to call the doctor?
Call the doctor or bring the child to the nearest clinic or hospital if the child has more of the following symptoms: fever, cough, trouble in breathing, sore throat or painful swallowing, belly pain, vomiting, rashes, dizziness, and diarrhea.
A sick child gets irritated easily because of uneasy feeling, that’s why having enough patience and providing enough love and care is necessary to help him/her gets well faster.
Disclaimer: This post is intended for educational purposes only! It isn’t meant to constitute medical advice of any kind, if you require advice you should consult an appropriate professional.
Continue your journey in finding ways to improve your health and wellness:
You may also want to read this post compilation of Health, wellness, tips.
You are welcome to visit:
Your online friendly corner where you can find topics, ideas, information, and inspiration which are essential in living.