Parenting is the process of raising a child in a way that can promote and support the areas of a child’s life like physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development. It involves a lot of consistency and routines, which can give the children a sense of control, belongingness, and achievements.
We have different parenting styles as parents, and occasionally, what we like isn’t what is meant. It is not an easy road for us, but we need to show them the right way.
Good parenting focuses on developing a child which can benefit him/her in daily life basis. Bad parenting, on the other hand, will bring a child in an opposite side of life that could lead to behavioral attitudes, negative and criminal behaviors.
Try these parenting tips:
- Be your child’s role model. What they see, sometimes they will imitate. That’s why you have to show them good behavior because you are their greatest role models. How they act and behave will also adds up on how you raise them.
- Set limits and be consistent. Let them follow your rules (ex. finish your homework before playing, no television or gadgets during mealtime, or asking them to say sorry for their mistakes). This will inculcate in their minds the importance of following rules from an authority, preparing them for the outside world.
- Show them unconditional love. A love without condition. Show them that they are a precious gift from God, that every step of the way you are there no matter what. Let them feel they are loved, and in return, they will also show that to you.
- Talk to them if they misbehave, do not criticize or scold them right away. Misbehaving is their way to show you that something is not ok, or I need your attention Mom or Dad. Understand that they are human beings too. Maybe they feel stressed, hungry, angry, jealous, or bored. Ask them what is going on, and decide for a better solution.
- Teach them positive attitudes. They will learn this from you. Show them how to be kind, how to treat people, and how to sympathize. But remember, that they will also learn this from other people, so always guide and tell them what is right from what is wrong.
- Praise them for a job well done. It will increase their self-esteem. You must be sincere also in praising because they will feel that. Be honest also about your comments. Appreciate their effort and not just the award or achievement they received.
- Monitor them when using the internet. Guide them regarding what they read and watch, making sure it’s age appropriate and always remind them not to use the screen for a longer period of time because it is not good for their health.
- Be a flexible parent. Adjust your parenting style if necessary for what is good. This helps your children to develop, to learn and reduce their frustrations.
- Let your kids do things independently. Allow them to choose and to decide on their own. Be watchful if their action is right, and they are not in danger. Let them see the result of their action. It will make them feel capable and motivated. This will benefit them in the future.
- Give them time, your time is precious for them. They are happy when they see you in front of the stage while they are performing. They are happy when they can play, laugh, eat meals and go out with you. Moments like these are already a treasure that they can keep in their hearts and look back in the future. These will be the things that they will recall, and not the material things you gave them.
Thank you for reading this post! If you have something to share regarding this topic, please don’t hesitate to leave it in the comment section.