A sore throat is a painful, itchy, and irritated throat.
This could produce an uneasy feeling because it brings difficulty in swallowing our food and drinking our fluids. This could also make us uncomfortable at night as it ruins a good night of sleep.
But don’t worry, as you can do remedies to ease and treat this while at home!
You can try the following home interventions:
- Try the healing effect of honey – this is a good remedy for sore throat. It helps to speed up the healing of sore throat because of its anti-inflammatory properties. You can add 1 tbsp of honey to a glass of water and drink it, or take at least 1 tbsp of honey followed by 1 glass of water. Please note however that you should not give honey to children under 1-year-old. You can read this separate post: Why you shouldn’t give honey to an infant?
- Gargle with warm salt water- it could help to break down secretions, thereby soothing a sore and itchy throat. Just add 1/2 tsp of salt into a glass of warm water and gargle it. It could also help to have a clean throat.
- Increase your fluid intake or stay hydrated. Staying hydrated is an essential part of treating your sore throat. If you are dehydrated, your body is unable to produce enough saliva that can help to keep your throat lubricated. Thereby making your sore throat worsen.
- Moisturize the air – use a humidifier or if not available, you can use a DIY instead. Go for a steam bath, the moist air coming from it helps to reduce swelling and painful throat. You can also drape your head and lean into a bowl of hot water to breathe in the steam.
- Have proper nutrition, eat your meal. Food is the fuel of the human body, it gives us the energy, vitamins, and minerals that our body needs to combat an illness.
- Elevate your pillow – an extra high pillow will help you breathe easier, thus promoting a good night of sleep. Enough rest or sleep is good at boosting your immunity.
When to see your doctor?
You need a doctor’s consultation or go to the nearest clinic or hospital if you already have a severe sore throat. A sore throat accompanied by high fever, swollen tonsils, severe pain when swallowing, and if you have nausea or vomiting.
Remember that prevention is always better than cure, so make sure to distance yourself and use your face mask when interacting with a sick person. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. Do some ways to boost your immune system, just like eating healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Drinking enough water, doing physical activities and exercises. Performing your hygiene daily, and having enough rest and sleep.
Disclaimer: This post is intended for educational purposes only! It isn’t meant to constitute medical advice of any kind, if you require advice you should consult an appropriate professional.
Continue your journey in finding ways to improve your health and wellness:
You may also want to read this post compilation of Health, wellness, tips.
You are welcome to visit:
Your online friendly corner where you can find topics, ideas, information, and inspiration which are essential in living.